Physical Therapy for Stroke - Stroke Rehab Facility in Howard County Maryland
Stroke or Cerebrovascular Accident (CVA) occurs when blood flow to an area of the brain is cut off or interrupted by a blockage or hemorrhage. Without blood flow, there is no oxygen to the brain. Brain cells die when they are deprived of oxygen. Normal brain functions suffer leading to neurologic deficiencies. When a severe lack of blood to the brain happens, the person may become paralyzed.
The quickest way to determine if you or your loved one is having a stroke is to remember FAST. This acronym stands for Facial drooping, Arm weakness, Speech difficulties and Time to call emergency services.
Other Symptoms of Stroke
- Difficulty walking
- Trouble understanding
- Paralysis or numbness of the arm or leg
- Visual Deficiencies – blurred vision, double vision, sudden visual loss, or temporary loss of vision in one eye
- Sensory Deficiencies – reduced sensation of touch or experiencing pins and needles
- Limbs Deficiencies – numbness or weakness
- Others – a headache, difficulty swallowing, unable to understand, confused, or rapid involuntary eye movement
Stroke need medical emergency attention FAST! Immediate medications for the acute onset of stroke can prevent permanent neurological effects such as paralysis. This early medication treatment can minimize brain damage and may help prevent additional strokes.
It is prudent to begin physical therapy right away to work towards regaining what was lost and improve functional outcomes by retraining the brain.
Our highly qualified physical therapists would be happy to show you our Columbia Maryland treatment center and learn more how we could help you or your family. We can be reached at (410) 884-0000
Links Related to Stroke Physical Therapy:
- Geriatric, older adult, or elderly rehabilitation services offered by BEAT Physical Therapy.
- Common musculoskeletal disorders experienced by adults.
- What are the symptoms of gait and balance problems?
- Why trust our BEAT physical therapists?
- Read our patient success stories, recommendations, and testimonials.
- Effective rehab treatment for adults with gait and balance problems.
- Available programs to rehabilitate balance and gait pattern problems of adults.
- Physical therapy treatment of osteoarthritis.
- Early indicators of Parkinson’s Disease.
- Trusted adult rehab facility in Little Patuxent Pkwy and Governor Warfield Pkwy, Columbia, Howard County MD.