Post Surgery Physical Therapy near Elkridge, MD
Did you just had shoulder or elbow surgery? Or foot and ankle surgery? May be Hand and Upper Extremity Orthopedic surgery? Probably knee replacement or ligament reconstructions? Read below why is Physical Therapy Important After Surgery.
Post operative rehabilitation
When you have surgery to any part of the body, you are inflicting necessary trauma to the tissues and joints in order to repair the damage. This typically results in pain, swelling, lack of mobility and decreased strength. Physical therapy is essential to improve these symptoms and restore your ability to move as you had before surgery.
Why is physical therapy important after surgery?
- Faster healing
- Movement improves blood flow for better healing
- Regain normal joint movement
- Reduce build-up of scar tissue
- Reduce swelling
- Optimize muscle function and strength
- Reduced pain
- Utilization of various hands-on techniques, as well as passive treatments can help to reduce pain for faster recovery and better outcomes.
- Improved outcomes
- Early intervention after surgery speeds up recovery for improved chance of returning you to your activity level prior to surgery.
What post surgical patients do we typically see?
- Joint replacements (arthroplasty of the hip, shoulder, knee, ankle)
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction, meniscus surgery, chondroplasty, and other ligamentous/cartilage surgeries in the knee
- Rotator cuff repairs and other shoulder surgeries
- Labral repairs to the hip and shoulder
- Repair of broken/fractured bones including open reduction – internal fixations and external fixations
- Back and neck surgeries including laminectomy, spinal decompression, lumbar disc surgery and spinal fusion
- Arthroscopic surgeries
- Hand surgeries including flexor and extensor tendon repairs, carpal tunnel release, trigger finger release
- And more!
What can you expect during your treatment?
- Personalized exercise program
- We will develop and continuously progress your treatment based on where you are in your stage of recovery, and what your personal goals are, such as returning to sport or physical activity.
- Manual therapy
- Therapeutic massage
- Joint manipulation
- Passive joint mobility
- Scar tissue massage
- Passive modalities
- Electric stimulation (also known as TENS)
- Cold/hot packs
- Communication with surgeon
- We will be in continuous communication with your surgeon throughout your rehabilitation stay with us to provide the best possible care.
Awards and Recognitions
BEAT Physical Therapy Promise: To Deliver Quality Care and Positive Results
A comprehensive, in person one-on-one physical therapy, and recently added telehealth or telemedicine programs for our patients. Our specialty-trained professionals work hand-in-hand with trusted physicians in Columbia MD, Ellicott City MD, Elkridge MD, Clarksville MD, Jessup MD, Laurel MD, or any city around Howard County Maryland. BEAT Physical Therapy Clinic is near Baltimore County and Baltimore City to provide customized treatment plans that are designed to restore range of motion, alleviate pain, and increase strength for a speedy patient recovery.